Saturday, June 30, 2007

Techno Bytes


I remember having this as my first phone. The Motorola V2288. We got it free during the Mr. Kiasu meal era, where you got this coupon when you bought the meal and got the phone free after signing a contract for a line for one year I think. Anyway, this was my first mobile that I shared with mom in 2001.


The Nokia 8250. Mom upgraded our phone to this which was not bad and it works PERFECTLY today. This was in 2001 as well. That phone is famous for the Star Wars ringtones we downloaded onto it. She used this phone for a damn long time man. All the way till last year when she got her new Nokia clam shell phone from Aunty Ivy.


In 2002, my parents decided that it was time I get my own phone. So, the trusty Nokia 3310 came into possession. It was second hand, purchased from Uncle Shino. So, it must've served him a good several years. In any case, Frederick kept dropping the phone so that konked out as you can imagine.


The Nokia 3100 was the first phone I bought with my own money. I got it in December 2003 and it was the first colour screen phone. Colour screens seemed to be a big thing in those days as previously there were only green, blue or white back light screens. This was yet another great phone as it served well, that is, till I decided to let it drop several storeys and that was the end of it. But it was cool for sure. I even got the camera attachment for it!



The Nokia 6111 was awesome as it looked like a camera. Incredibly small and compact. However, as with all slide phones, the mechanism wears out before long. At least mine could slide well still, unlike some others they use for display at the phone shops. Those are in horrible states. Uggh, poor phones. But I traded it off after a year of using it before its value depreciated as the mechanism was wearing out.


The arrival of the K800i is when Nokia lost me as a consumer. Sony Ericsson is fast chasing Nokia for market share and the thing is, people ARE buying into Sony Ericsson's products. They were the originators of the MP3 after all. Look who's followed in their footsteps - Nokia and now Apple with their iPhone. Anyway, the k800i comes with a 3.2 megapixel camera, which is the sole reason this phone grabbed my attention over the Nokia MP3 one. I think that one is pretty neat too, sleek yet funky design. But Nokia could work on their operations a bit more.

Mr. Andrew had that phone. But when I was there, it kinda crashed on him. The thing that Sony Ericsson has an edge over Nokia is that they allow you to update the phone's software when you want, where you want. As for Nokia, you need to do it every 3 months, at the Nokia service shops. You can't do it yourself unlike Sony Ericsson.

Of the three brands of phones that I've used, I like Nokia and Sony Ercisson the best. Motorola lost my confidence after having the phone repaired, some stuff else failed. But I expect that's because it was a "free" phone after all. Everyone knows that they give lousy models as free phones. Only me, when I was 13, was oblivious to that fact. Heh.

Today Joannah, Aung and I met up for MIA. On the way back to City Hall, we were discussing about something when the discussion shifted to how technology had advanced. Everyone used to look forward to the year 2000, where things would be so futuristic - flying cars, teleportation, jet packs. 2000 has come and gone, but no flying cars, no jet packs and we're still using public transport. Then someone said that the only thing that seems to have advanced are phones. Green back light, blue back light, white back light, colour screen, camera phone, MP3 phone, 3.2 megapixel phone, touch screen phone, 5 megapixel phone, iPhone. Phones have come a long way. And if you think that 3G is nothing much. Think back to the days of the good old Nokia 3310.

-LIVESTRONG!-

Heads Up and Stay Strong
Be Proud

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home